You’re thinking about becoming a surrogate, but it seems like every time you Google the topic, you’re pushed to a variety of random websites that aren’t really all that informative! Lots of lists, and acronyms, and fluff. But you want the REAL story. The truth about what it takes to become a surrogate, and what the experience may be like.
You want to listen as real surrogates tell their stories. You want to be fully informed about surrogacy before taking the leap. You want a podcast that gives it to you straight.
Have you heard of the podcast Fertility Cafe? If not, you’re totally missing out. Host Eloise Drane cuts through the crap and gives you the information you really need and want to know. The good and the not-so-good. Eloise covers a wide variety of topics related to fertility and modern family building, but we’ve gathered a binge-worthy collection of Fertility Cafe episodes related specifically to becoming a gestational surrogate.
You’ve been thinking about becoming a gestational surrogate for a while now. For months, maybe even years, you’ve thought about what it would be like to give someone the precious gift of motherhood or fatherhood. It’s been weighing on your heart. So what’s stopping you from pursing your calling?
In this week’s episode, Eloise talks with 5-time surrogate Rebekah Hills about the highs and not-so-highs of surrogacy. This episode is a must-listen for any woman thinking about being a surrogate, or any IP who wonders what goes through the GCs mind throughout the journey.
- Rebekah is a mom of two, avid foodie and food blogger, full-time professional – so what made her want to take on surrogacy?
- Independent surrogacy vs. surrogacy with an agency vs. surrogacy with a law firm: Rebekah has done it all! How does each journey compare and which does she prefer?
- As a surrogate, you should have as much of a say in choosing your IPs as they have in choosing you. So what does Rebekah look for in her intended parents, and what are some red flags to watch out for?
In this episode of Fertility Cafe, we’re going to focus on the more complicated and emotionally charged surrogacy topics specifically relevant to your journey to become a surrogate: why your BMI is so important; the psychological evaluation and the role of mood stabilizing drugs; receipt of government assistance as a disqualifier; and even the topic of termination and selective reduction.
Buckle up ladies – Eloise doesn’t sugar coat the truth, and this is going to be a bumpy ride!
- It’s important to always remember your “why” in becoming a surrogate
- Is your BMI too high or too low? Learn why clinics will not work with you… and it all has to do with hormones.
- The dreaded psychological evaluation… it’s really not as scary as you think.
- Did you know you have to be off ALL mood stabilizing meds to be a surrogate?
- How receiving Food Stamps or Medicaid may disqualify you from being a surrogate.
- The truth about termination and selective reduction – Yes. We are going there.
- The role of your support system in the surrogacy process, and why it is such a critical piece!
What inspires a woman to donate her eggs six times and serve as a gestational surrogate three times? In this episode of Fertility Café, host Eloise Drane shares her own donation and surrogacy story. Listen as she details every step of the journey, from her first donation (though not her eggs!) to actualizing her dream of starting the first surrogacy and egg donation agency in the South. Honest, real, and raw – it’s the inside story you’ve been wanting to hear.
4. A Spouse’s Perspective on His Wife Becoming a Surrogate
You want to become a surrogate, but you’re wondering how to make sure your partner or spouse is on board with your decision? One of the most important aspects of a successful surrogacy journey is a strong support system. Your partner or spouse is obviously a HUGE part of that support. Eloise’s husband Anthony joins her in The Fertility Cafe to have an open, honest, and REAL discussion about a spouse’s reaction to his wife becoming a surrogate. Grab your partner and listen together – you may be surprised at what you learn! In this episode we discuss:
- What’s a normal reaction for a partner or spouse to have?
- Tips for talking to your partner or spouse about your desire to become a surrogate
- How does race play into a surrogacy journey?
The surrogacy journey doesn’t look the same for every person or every couple. The experience will be as unique as you are, and YOU are ultimately in control on how your surrogacy journey unfolds. So what are your options to become a parent-via-surrogacy or a gestational surrogate yourself?
If you are an intended parent, one of the biggest questions is: How long with the surrogacy process take? In general, the surrogacy process could take up to 15-18 months. Of course, this time frame can vary greatly depending on your circumstances. And if you need to find an egg or sperm donor or create embryos, this may add an additional 3-4 months to the process. The bottom line is that surrogacy is not a quick process. But, up ‘til this point, has anything in your journey to parenthood been quick?
Are you a mother already, and want to make the bold step to become a gestational surrogate? Taking on something as serious as bringing another human being into the world as a gestational surrogate may be one of the most life altering and altruistic gifts a woman could do for another. Keep in mind – just because you want to become a surrogate, doesn’t mean you will qualify. There are a lot of factors that are taken into consideration. Candidates are evaluated on their age, medical history, financial independence, location, their thoughts on termination and even their desire for contact and communication.
Pull up a chair and let’s talk surrogacy: what it is, how to get started, the cost of surrogacy, the professionals you need in your village, and the top qualities of successful surrogates in this second episode of Fertility Café. Here’s a sneak peek at the episode:
- Let’s lay the foundation including the history of modern-day surrogacy and common terms you’ll come across in your journey.
- There are many different types of surrogacy. Which one makes sense for you? I’ll discuss traditional surrogacy vs. gestational surrogacy, as well as compassionate vs. compensated surrogacy.
- Sharing my insider knowledge with a step-by-step explanation of the surrogacy process
- The cost of surrogacy, how to plan your surrogacy budget, and other considerations for intended parents
- Would you make a great surrogate? I review the qualifications you must meet, plus the top 9 characteristics of an ideal surrogate.
What Are the Next Steps in Becoming a Surrogate?
>>> Download “The Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Surrogate”
Women who consider giving the gift of parenthood to another family often think about it for years before they even reach out to an agency to start the process. They often say “it keeps coming back to my heart”. Taking a few more months to fully research and learn more about proven agencies often leads them to fulfill their dream of giving the gift of a child to a well-deserving family. Family inceptions has developed The Insider’s Guide to Becoming a Surrogate – a free download that offers in-depth information for any woman considering surrogacy. Click here to download your guide.
>>> Join a Facebook Group
Interested in learning more about surrogacy from real surrogates and intended parents? Join one of our Facebook groups and join the conversation.
- Northeast Surrogacy Journey
- Southeast Surrogacy Journey
- Western US Surrogacy Journey
- Midwest+Southwest Surrogacy Journey
- Milspouse Surrogacy Journey
>>> Keep Binging on Surrogacy Info!
Discover what it takes to become a gestational surrogate and how to kick off your surrogacy journey with a series of articles written just for you! Click here to check out the full collection of posts all about becoming a surrogate. Or click below to check out some of our most popular articles:
The Most Common Reasons Women Get Denied to Become a Surrogate
Are Pro-Life and No-Term Surrogacy the Same Thing? Owning Your Surrogacy Journey
Dedicated to Your Journey: A Look at our Surrogacy Support Team
Is Now the Right Time to Become a Surrogate? Important Questions to Ask Before You Get Started
>>> Schedule a FREE Consultation
Do you have questions that haven’t been answered, or are unique to your situation? We’d love to chat! Schedule a 15 Minute (No Pressure!) Consultation